Thursday, June 18, 2009

Flashy Gashy

Several weeks ago, I met Shantee AKA Flashy Gashy AKA Luther Winters, a homeless cross dresser living on the streets of Macon. Living downtown, I'm pretty used to characters inhabiting my life. Really it's always been that way for me. The jugglers, liars and thieves of the world cling to me in a way most people don't and I don't deny liking that.

Anyway, To talk to Shantee is like listening to Little Richard and Ike Turner at once. Our first conversation went something like this.

Shantee: "Hey Baaaby, when you gone buy me a baked potato?"

Me: "A baked potato?"

"Yeah baaaby, I love baked potatoes, I been waiting on a lady to bring me one but she ain't done it"

"I mean, I love baked potatoes to baby, but I don't really know where to get a baked potato right now."

"Honey, everyone has baked potoatoes, let's go get one."

We didn't get a baked potoato that day, but the last few weeks I've spent learning more and more about her. I thought about how difficult it must have been for her, already a black gay man living in the South since 1953, but she's decided to dress like a woman. When I found out that she just got of prison for murdering her lover in 1994 with a butcher knife, I was of course even more intrigued. She's sweet, fun loving, never asks for anything (except that baked potatoe that first day) and I just couldn't imagine her killing anyone, but sure enough she did. And she's done her time and paid for it, but I want to know more. And as I learn it, I'll post it here for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment